Welcome to the Stag Head Pillow KAL!
This handsome pillow is a study in knitting cables. The stag head and surrounding motif are “drawn” using 38 different cables!
In this KAL, we are converting the Stag Head Pullover pattern into a pillow. You will need the pullover pattern in order to complete this pillow. The instructions for the pillow refer to the body panel chart and stag chart in the pullover pattern.
In this KAL you will learn how to:
- Make a proper swatch to test your gauge
- Accurately predict the size of your finished pillow
- Do a variety of cables, with or without a cable needle
- Read a chart
- Knit an applied I-cord
- Make button holes
- Make pattern alterations (we are converting a sweater pattern to a pillow)
Participants must know how to cast on, knit, purl, and bind off prior to starting this KAL.
I recommend using worsted weight yarn or thicker, in a medium to light solid or semi-solid color. Some yarns that we carry in the shop that would be good choices are:
- Plymouth Worsted Merino Superwash – worsted weight & superwash (3 skeins)
- Cestari Mount Vernon Worsted – this is actually Aran weight yarn, 100% merino (3 skeins)
- Kraemer Naturally Nazareth – worsted weight, 100% domestic merino (3 skeins)
- Kraemer Perfection Super Bulky – 70% acrylic, 30% domestic merino, machine washable (5 skeins)
All of these yarns will produce nice cables, which is essential for this pattern. Worsted weight yarn should yield a 12” pillow. Thicker yarns will make a bigger pillow.
Tools You Will Need
- Knitting needles two sizes smaller than you would ordinarily use for the yarn you select. If you are using single point needles for the pillow, you will also need the same size DPNs or circular needles for the i-cord trim.
- Knitting needles one size smaller than your main needles for the ribbing
- Cable needle (we prefer Brittany cable needles)
- Stitch markers
- Tapestry needle
- 5 buttons, at least ⅞”
- Pillow form to match the size of your finished pillow
For your convenience, we have available for sale the yarn and pattern you need for this KAL. Save time and support our small business by purchasing what you need here. Click on the item name to see more details and larger photos. If you do not need your yarn immediately, we are happy to special order whatever color you like! Just call or text (423) 218-2238 or email email@example.com, and we’ll help you find the perfect yarn!
|Brittany Cable Needles||$6.79|
We LOVE Brittany Cable Needles! Read the full description to learn why. Set of three 3.75″ long cable needles in the following sizes: 3mm, 3.5mm, and 4.5mm.
|Cestari Mount Vernon Worsted||$15.99|
Cestari Mount Vernon Worsted is a 2-ply 100% merino wool yarn. Though it is called “worsted”, it is actually an aran weight yarn spun on a traditional woolen system. 178 yards/100 grams
This yarn is NOT superwash and will felt.
|Clover Locking Stitch Markers||$5.49|
These durable Clover locking stitch markers are the most versatile stitch markers. You can use them on your knitting needles or pin them to your fabric to keep track of your stitches and progress.
|Clover Soft Stitch Ring Markers||$5.25|
These flexible Clover soft stitch ring markers are pliable and easy on your hands. The package includes 10 small and 20 large stitch markers. The small stitch markers fit needle sizes 0 to 5 and the large stitch markers fit needle sizes 5 to 11.
|Dritz Tapestry Needles||$2.19|
Large-eyed tapestry needles with blunt points that allow the needle to pass easily between fabric yarns. Five size 16 tapestry needles in each pack.
|Kraemer Naturally Nazareth||$9.49|
Naturally Nazareth is a versatile 3-ply yarn with great stitch definition. Made in the USA with wool grown in the USA! 100% U.S. Merino Wool Blend; 100 grams / 200 yards
Click on any color below to see it larger at left or above. Click the magnifying glass in that photo to see it even larger.
|Plymouth Worsted Merino Superwash||$15.99|
Worsted Merino Superwash by Plymouth Yarn Company is a 12-ply superwash fine merino wool yarn. The multiple plies make it a nice “round” yarn – great for fancy stitch work! 218 yards/100 grams
To access the lessons below, you have to be a member of the Knit Along Club and be logged-in.
Click here to join the Knit Along Club
When you join the Knit Along Club, you will have access to the lessons below as well as the lessons for ALL the knit alongs in the Club.
Knitting Your Stag Head Pillow