Welcome to the Socks on a Plane KAL!
Socks on a Plane are knit mostly in stockinette stitch with a cable up the outside of each sock for added interest. It is a great pattern for beginner sock knitters or more experienced knitters who desire a small project that doesn’t require too much thinking.
In this Knit Along you will learn how to:
- Knit toe-up socks
- Do Judy’s Magic Cast On for a seamless toe
- Knit in the round using double pointed needes, magic loop, or 2 circulars (your choice)
- Knit 2-at-a-time using the magic loop method (if you already know how to knit socks in the round)
- Cable, with or without a cable needle
- Keep track of which row you are on (it can be tricky with cables)
- Adjust the size to fit your foot
- Do Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off
- Read a chart
Participants must know how to cast on, knit, purl, and bind off prior to starting this KAL.
- Socks on a Plane pattern (click here to download the free pattern)
- 300-400 yards of fingering weight yarn. We recommend a wool/nylon blend such as Mary Ann Sock by Wonderland Yarns (available below). Choose a solid color if you want your cable to stand out.
- Size 1.5 (2.5 mm) needles in whatever style you prefer for knitting in the round. The pattern is written for knitting in the round with 2 circular needles.
- Cable Needle
- Tapestry Needle
- Stitch markers
For your convenience, we have available for sale the yarn and pattern you need for this KAL. Save time and support our small business by purchasing what you need here. Click on the item name to see more details and larger photos. If you do not need your yarn immediately, we are happy to special order whatever color you like! Just call or text (423) 218-2238 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll help you find the perfect yarn!
|Clover Locking Stitch Markers||$5.49|
These durable Clover locking stitch markers are the most versatile stitch markers. You can use them on your knitting needles or pin them to your fabric to keep track of your stitches and progress.
|Clover Soft Stitch Ring Markers||$5.25|
These flexible Clover soft stitch ring markers are pliable and easy on your hands. The package includes 10 small and 20 large stitch markers. The small stitch markers fit needle sizes 0 to 5 and the large stitch markers fit needle sizes 5 to 11.
|Wonderland Yarns Mary Ann Sock||$26.00|
Mary Ann Sock is a fingering weight yarn designed especially for socks but is suitable for a wide variety of projects. It has a delightfully soft hand with the perfect smoothness and durability you want in your favorite sock yarn. 85% superwash merino wool, 15% nylon; 113 grams / 475 yards
To access the lessons below, you have to be a member of the Knit Along Club and be logged-in.
Click here to join the Knit Along Club
When you join the Knit Along Club, you will have access to the lessons below as well as the lessons for ALL the knit alongs in the Club.
Knitting Your Socks on a Plane
Casting On (page 1)
Dividing your yarn so you have enough for each sock
Winding Cast On
Judy’s Magic Cast On
Increasing the Toe (page 1)
How to kfb
How to identify and fix mistakes in the toe
Checking for gauge & estimating the final size of your sock