Welcome to the Poetry in Motion KAL!
Poetry in Motion is a gorgeous feminine design ideal for wool or cotton, thus making it a beautiful layering piece for all year round. This cardigan is worked as a modified top down raglan, featuring elegant lace and cables in sizes 30″-49″. There are lots of options to choose from to make this a unique and personalized cardigan:
- Choose between lace patterns
- Adjust the cardigan length
- Customize the fullness of the cardigan skirt
- Select your favorite cable pattern
The Poetry in Motion cardigan is a perfect match for the child-sized Sun Spots, which makes a great mother-daughter combination.
In this KAL, you will learn how to:
- Make a proper swatch to test your gauge
- Cast-on using a provisional method
- Knit cables (with or without a cable needle)
- Do a variety of increases and decreases
- Use a lifeline so you never have to rip all your work out again
- Make a diverse range of cables and/or lace stitches
- Pick up and knit
- Make modified top down raglan sleeves
- Read a chart
- Adjust the pattern to fit your cable stitch and length preference
Participants must know how to cast on, knit, purl, and bind off prior to starting this KAL.
- Poetry in Motion pattern (click here to purchase the pattern)
- Fingering or sport weight yarn. If you opt for the full body skirt, allow an additional 75-100 yards (70-91 m) of yarn. We recommend Malabrigo Sock, Malabrigo Arroyo, or Louet Gems Fingering. Below are the bust sizes in inches with the amount of yarn required in parentheses: 30” (800 yds/731 m), 32” (850 yds/777 m), 34” (925 yds/846 m), 36” (1000 yds/914 m), 38’” (1075 yds/ 983 m), 40” (1125 yds/ 1029 m), 42” (1200 yds/1097 m), 44” (1300 yds/1189 m), 46” (1400 yds/1280 m), 49” (1500 yds/1371 m) Note that the pattern is written for fingering weight yarn, but at a sport weight gauge. Therefore, using sport weight yarn will give you a slightly denser fabric than fingering weight yarn.
- US 3, 4, 5, and 6 needles, 32” circular or longer (or the sizes needed to obtain gauge)
- Stitch markers
- Darning or Tapestry needle
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- Cable needle. We recommend Brittany cable needles
For your convenience, we have available for sale the yarn and pattern you need for this KAL. Save time and support our small business by purchasing what you need here. Click on the item name to see more details and larger photos. If you do not need your yarn immediately, we are happy to special order whatever color you like! Just call or text (423) 218-2238 or email email@example.com, and we’ll help you find the perfect yarn!
|Louet Gems Fingering Weight, 50g||$9.99|
Louet Gems Fingering has excellent stitch definition, making cables and other designs truly come to life. 100% machine washable merino wool; 50 grams / 185 yards per skein
Malabrigo Sock is a hand dyed light fingering weight yarn that is luxuriously soft. 100% superwash merino wool; 100 grams / 440 yards
Malabrigo Arroyo is a hand dyed sport weight yarn that is luxuriously soft. 100% superwash merino wool; 100 grams / 335 yards
To access the lessons below, you have to be a member of the Knit Along Club and be logged-in.
Click here to join the Knit Along Club
When you join the Knit Along Club, you will have access to the lessons below as well as the lessons for ALL the knit alongs in the Club.
Knitting Your Poetry in Motion