Welcome to the Nala Cardi KAL!
Angela started her own series of knit alongs last year called Angela’s Alterknits. Beth does most of the knit alongs (KALs) here at the Knit Along Club. Angela, the rogue one, doesn’t always want to do her KALs so she’s stepped out on her own.
The subject of the next Alterknit is the Nala Cardi: a beautiful, graceful, and stylish open-front cardigan design by Regina Moessmer. This cardigan is knit in a heavy fingering weight yarn that will quickly become a wardrobe favorite for most seasons of the year! The Nala Cardi is worked seamlessly from the top down, featuring a lovely shawl collar and cables. You can easily customize the cardigan length. And we’ll help you every step of the way! The pattern is written for bust sizes 33-50 inches.
In this KAL you will learn how to:
- Make a proper swatch to test your gauge
- Knit a sweater seamlessly from the top down
- Use a winding provisional cast-on
- Read your knitting so you can always tell what row you are on
- Use a lifeline so you never have to rip all your work out again
- Shape shoulders by using the contiguous method
- Pick up and knit to create a nicely finished edge
- Make minor adjustments to the pattern for a more tailored fit
- Increase and decrease stitches
- Make an i-cord edge
- Modify the pattern to add your own personal touch (I added a cable that goes along neckband and the front edges – and I’ll tell you how in the KAL)
Participants must know how to cast on, knit, purl, cable, and bind off prior to starting this KAL.
- 1310-1860 yards of heavy fingering (2) weight yarn*
- Malabrigo Sock (100% Superwash Merino; 100 g, 440 yards)
- Louet Gems Fingering (100% Merino Wool; 50 g, 185 yards)
- US 3,4 and 5 needles (or sizes needed to obtain gauge)
- Stitch markers – we recommend placing markers between each cable repeat, in addition to the markers the designer recommends in the pattern. You will be using a lot of stitch markers, which can make your knitting heavy. If your hands get tired and/or achy, choose small and lightweight markers to reduce the weight on your needles.
- Cable Needle
- Yarn needle
- Waste yarn or extra interchangeable cord with stoppers to hold live stitches
*The pattern calls for a yarn that is 100 g / 380 yards, which is a heavy fingering weight yarn. We recommend that if you use a thinner fingering weight yarn to knit one size larger than you would normally choose. You can also choose a sport weight yarn, to choose a size that is one size smaller than you would normally choose. In the lessons of this KAL, we will explain what size to choose based on your gauge swatch.
|Brittany Cable Needles||$6.79|
We LOVE Brittany Cable Needles! Read the full description to learn why. Set of three 3.75″ long cable needles in the following sizes: 3mm, 3.5mm, and 4.5mm.
|Louet Gems Fingering Weight, 50g||$9.99|
Louet Gems Fingering has excellent stitch definition, making cables and other designs truly come to life. 100% machine washable merino wool; 50 grams / 185 yards per skein
Malabrigo Sock is a hand dyed light fingering weight yarn that is luxuriously soft. 100% superwash merino wool; 100 grams / 440 yards
|Nala Cardi Pattern||$8.00|
Nala Cardi pattern by Regina Moessmer. You will receive this pattern as a PDF via email in a day or 2. If you supply your Ravelry ID during checkout, it will also be added to your Ravelry library.
The Nala Cardi is a beautiful, graceful, and stylish open-front cardigan that will compliment any outfit. It is worked seamlessly from the top down, featuring a lovely shawl collar and cables.
To access the lessons below, you have to be a member of the Knit Along Club and be logged-in.
Click here to join the Knit Along Club
Knitting Your Nala Cardi