Welcome to the Kelmscott KAL!
The sophisticated design of the Kelmscott Cardigan makes it perfect for special occasions. This is a sweater that will turn heads! Inspired by the decorative patterns of William Morris and the Arts and Crafts movement. The sweater is knit in 6 pieces from the bottom up, with front lace panels set off by reverse stockinette; and lace detail at the sleeve cuffs and center back. Finished measurements: Chest sizes 33 (37,41, 45, 49, 53). It is intended to be worn with 1-2″ of ease.
In this KAL you will learn how to:
- Make a proper swatch to test your gauge to make sure your sweater fits
- Knit a sweater in pieces and seam them together for a professional finish
- Knit lace
- Read knitting charts
- Read your knitting so you can always tell what row you are on
- Use a lifeline so you never have to rip all your work out again
- Knit short rows to create a flattering fit
- Crochet an easy slip stitch trim to stabilize the sweater
- Crochet button covers to create buttons that match your sweater perfectly
Participants must know how to cast on, knit, purl, and bind off prior to starting this KAL. Additionally, participants should have done at least one lace project and one project that required shaping (increases and decreases) prior to beginning this sweater.
- 1096-1644 yds of worsted weight yarn – we recommend Paulie Worsted by Shalimar Yarns (60% SW Merino, 20% Camel, 10% Cashmere, 10% Silk; 100g, 200 yds). Malabrigo Rios (100% SW Merino; 100g, 210 yds) is our 2nd choice. Yardage by bust size: 33″ = 1096 yards 37″ = 1233 yards 41″ = 1370 yards 45″ = 1370 yards 49″ = 1507 yards 53″ = 1644 yards
- US 7 and 9 needles (or size needed to obtain gauge).
- Stitch markers
- Yarn needle
- Size C (2.75 mm) crochet hook
- 4 lightweight 1/2″ (12.5 mm) buttons
- Waste yarn
Kelmscott pattern by Carol Sunday. You will receive this pattern as a PDF via email in a day or 2. If you supply your Ravelry ID during checkout, it will also be added to your Ravelry library.
Malabrigo Rios is a hand dyed 4-ply worsted weight yarn that is luxuriously soft. 100% superwash merino wool; 100 grams / 210 yards
Hover over any color to see the color name; click any color to see a larger sample at left.
|Shalimar Paulie Worsted||$34.00|
Paulie Worsted is 4-ply superwash Merino, Camel, Cashmere and Silk blend. This unique blend of fibers creates a yarn that is the ultimate luxury to work with. 100 grams / 200 yards