Welcome to the Here We Gnome Again KAL!
This KAL starts August 19, 2022
(Some of the Getting Started lessons will be posted early so you can be ready to cast on August 19th)
Meet Gnancy and Gneville. Gnancy likes to read The Fellowship of the Rings while sipping mead. Gneville can’t sit still and enjoys rugby and Quidditch.
Gorgeous twisted stitch cables trace elegant patterns all over the hat and body. And the pattern includes a number of tricks to keep the sewing to a minimum.
These gnomes make great Santas, too! Use Christmas colors and surprise your friends and family with adorable St. Nicks this Christmas!
In this KAL you will learn how to:
- Knit stuffed toys
- Make a proper swatch to test your gauge
- Read your knitting so you can always tell what row you are on
- Use a lifeline so you never have to rip all your work out again
- Knit an I-cord
- Make a bobble
- Read knitting charts
- Knit in the round with the Magic Loop Method
- Knit cables & twisted stitches, with or without a cable needle
- Make various increases & decreases
Participants must know how to cast on, knit, purl, and bind off prior to starting this KAL.
- Pattern (available below)
- Yarn – This pattern is written for either worsted weight yarn or fingering weight yarn. The yarns we recommend are available below. Yarn requirements are as follows:
- Worsted weight yarn: 103 yards total; white or gray for beard (15 yards) & one color (88 yards)
- Fingering weight yarn: 78 yards total; white or gray for beard (15 yards) & one color (63 yards)
- Needles for knitting in the round – either magic loop method, 2 circulars, or DPNs. Lessons will include instructions for the Magic Loop Method.
- For worsted weight yarn: US 4 (3.5 mm) & US 5 (3.75 mm)
- For fingering weight yarn: US 1.5 (2.5 mm) & US 2 (2.75 mm)
- Yarn needle
- Stitch markers, including at least one locking stitch marker (safety pin style)
- Row Counter
- Poly Pellets – Approximately 4 ounces for worsted weight gnome. Less for fingering weight gnome.
- Small amount of stuffing (poly fill)
- Stocking to hold poly pellets (optional but recommended
For your convenience, we have available for sale the yarn and pattern you need for this KAL. Save time and support our small business by purchasing what you need here. Click on the item name to see more details and larger photos.
If you do not need your yarn immediately, we are happy to special order whatever color you like! Just call or text (423) 218-2238 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll help you find the perfect yarn!
|Brittany Cable Needles||$6.79|
We LOVE Brittany Cable Needles! Read the full description to learn why. Set of three 3.75″ long cable needles in the following sizes: 3mm, 3.5mm, and 4.5mm.
|Clover Locking Stitch Markers||$5.49|
These durable Clover locking stitch markers are the most versatile stitch markers. You can use them on your knitting needles or pin them to your fabric to keep track of your stitches and progress.
|Clover Soft Stitch Ring Markers||$5.25|
These flexible Clover soft stitch ring markers are pliable and easy on your hands. The package includes 10 small and 20 large stitch markers. The small stitch markers fit needle sizes 0 to 5 and the large stitch markers fit needle sizes 5 to 11.
|Dritz Tapestry Needles||$2.19|
Large-eyed tapestry needles with blunt points that allow the needle to pass easily between fabric yarns. Five size 16 tapestry needles in each pack.
|Here We Gnome Again Pattern||$6.60|
Here We Gnome Again pattern by Sarah Schira. You will receive this pattern as a PDF via email in a day or 2. If you supply your Ravelry ID during checkout, it will also be added to your Ravelry library.
|Louet Gems Fingering Weight, 50g||$9.99|
Louet Gems Fingering has excellent stitch definition, making cables and other designs truly come to life. 100% machine washable merino wool; 50 grams / 185 yards per skein
Malabrigo Rios is a hand dyed 4-ply worsted weight yarn that is luxuriously soft. 100% superwash merino wool; 100 grams / 210 yards
Hover over any color to see the color name; click any color to see a larger sample at left.
Malabrigo Sock is a hand dyed light fingering weight yarn that is luxuriously soft. 100% superwash merino wool; 100 grams / 440 yards
|Shalimar Paulie Worsted||$34.00|
Paulie Worsted is 4-ply superwash Merino, Camel, Cashmere and Silk blend. This unique blend of fibers creates a yarn that is the ultimate luxury to work with. 100 grams / 200 yards
|Wonderland Yarns Mary Ann Sock||$26.00|
Mary Ann Sock is a fingering weight yarn designed especially for socks but is suitable for a wide variety of projects. It has a delightfully soft hand with the perfect smoothness and durability you want in your favorite sock yarn. 85% superwash merino wool, 15% nylon; 113 grams / 475 yards
To access the lessons below, you have to be a member of the Knit Along Club and be logged-in.
Click here to join the Knit Along Club
When you join the Knit Along Club, you will have access to the lessons below as well as the lessons for ALL the knit alongs in the Club.
General Tips to Improve Your Knitting
Knit in the round
Read knitting charts
Save time with plain backs
Skin-colored nose & hands
How to add braids
Where to find inspiration for other modifications