Welcome to the Catkin KAL!
The Catkin is a versatile capelet designed by Carina Spencer. She describes this design beautifully:
“Catkin is textural, structural, botanical, and modern. It is a union of soft curves and hard lines. It is a shawl, a wrap, a capelet, a scarf… and it’s all yours!
This unique design is knit seamlessly from the top down… The catkin and leaf patterns at the hem are all created through the clever use of slipped stitches — there is no 2-stranded colorwork knitting in this shawl! Only one color is worked at any given time and the only color changes are striping.”
In the Catkin KAL you will learn how to:
- Make a proper swatch to test your gauge and ensure a properly sized cape
- Do slip stitch colorwork – a method of adding color to your project without having to carry 2 yarns at once
- Work with 2 colors of yarn – and NOT have a ton of tails to sew in
- Use stitch markers to keep track of your knitting
- Read knitting charts
- Make button holes
Participants must know how to cast on, knit, purl, and bind off prior to starting this KAL.
- Catkin pattern
- Approximately 400 yards fingering weight yarn in each of 2 colors (800 yards total)
- Size US 4 circular knitting needle, 36” or longer, or size to obtain gauge
- 8 buttons, approximately ⅝” in diameter
- Stitch markers
- Highlighter tape (optional, but highly recommended if you are using a paper pattern)
- Tapestry needle
- Row counter
For your convenience, we have available for sale the yarn and pattern you need for this KAL. Save time and support our small business by purchasing what you need here. Click on the item name to see more details and larger photos. If you do not need your yarn immediately, we are happy to special order whatever color you like! Just call or text (423) 218-2238 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll help you find the perfect yarn!
Catkin pattern by Carina Spencer. You will receive this pattern as a PDF via email in a day or 2. If you supply your Ravelry ID during checkout, it will also be added to your Ravelry library.
|Louet Gems Fingering Weight, 50g||$9.99|
Louet Gems Fingering has excellent stitch definition, making cables and other designs truly come to life. 100% machine washable merino wool; 50 grams / 185 yards per skein
Malabrigo Sock is a hand dyed light fingering weight yarn that is luxuriously soft. 100% superwash merino wool; 100 grams / 440 yards